There have been many changes to Government House over the years.
An engraving by P J Ouless dated around 1820 shows a symmetrical villa. There was a porch to the east, but not the present porte cochère. There were two storeys, a rather flat roof, and no dormers.
A third storey was added at some point before 1894. Although the third storey added to the size of the house, it did not really fit in with the previous building design.
On the site of the existing stable block, which has now been converted into cottages, there was another house which became absorbed into the property.
The round arch leading into the present kitchen garden may be the only remaining feature of this.